We’ve all been inspired by the deluge of DIY television shows, online videos and articles, all seemingly designed to motivate us to tackle our own home remodeling projects. In an honest moment, even the least handy among us can admit to thinking that if the guy on the DIY video can remodel his bathroom in what appears to be a weekend, surely we can do the same. Right?
Depending on the size and work involved, handling your own home improvement project will likely involve more skill than just twisting a screwdriver. And substantially more time.
Before you decide to tackle a remodeling project without professional help, here are some questions you should consider:
- Do you enjoy physical work? (Because as any professional contractor will tell you, watching those DIY shows is not the same as actually swinging the hammer yourself.)
- Are you persistent and patient? (Be honest!)
- Do you have reliable work habits? (Because the work only counts if the remodel project gets finished…something you can count on a professional to do.)
- Do you have the tools, and more important, the skills you need do the job right? (Professionals come equipped with both.)
- Do you have the time required to complete the project? (If you don’t have professional-level skills, always double or triple the time estimated for a DIY project.)
- Will it matter if the project remains unfinished for that much time?
- Are you prepared to handle the stress this project will create in your family relationships?
- Do you know all of the steps involved in the project? (A professional knows, because your project isn’t their first project.)
- Are you familiar with your local building codes and permit requirements? (Professional contractors are familiar with local codes and requirements, and know how to obtain any permits you might need. They can also give you a good idea of your project timeline.)
- What will you do if the project goes wrong? (If you botch the job, most professional contractors will be wary about coming to the rescue to fix it.)
- Is it safe for you to do this home remodel project? (Because let’s face it, certain can be treacherous if you don’t have the training and experience to know what you’re doing.)
- Will you be able to obtain the materials you need? (A professional is your best connection to high-quality materials you likely can’t get at a home improvement store, often at better prices than you’ll find.)
- Are you attempting to do-it-yourself to save money? (If so, take a good look at the potential costs of your DIY project, including the cost of your time and of correcting any potential mistakes. Now, is it still a bargain?)
- Lastly, who will warranty the work? Most product warranties are void if not installed by a professional and obviously the only one you can blame for poor workmanship is you! Professional contractors offer workmanship warranties in case of a workmanship issue and the good ones come back even if not their fault, just to keep you happy!
Hopefully, this list has given you not only a DIY reality check, but also several reasons why hiring a professional contractor can help make your remodeling project less stressful and more successful.
Before you reach for a hammer yourself, consider the benefits a professional can bring to your project. Then reach out to Gallagher-Remodeling–. It’s an investment that will pay off, in a professional-quality result.